- At 250 miles long, the Eastern Sierra Scenic By-Way can take anywhere from four to six hours to complete.
- If you want to break the drive in half, Mammoth Lakes serves as a great half way point.
- This well marked tour is the best way to experience the huge variety of natural and historical attractions located along US-395.
The Eastern Sierra Scenic By-Way, stretching 250 miles on US-395 from Topaz Lake in the North to Little Lake in the South, treats visitors to 23 scenic turn-outs and interpretive displays, all easily found by looking for the labeled turn-outs. It also passes through some of the most spectacular alpine scenery in all of North America.
Mammoth Lakes is located almost directly in the middle of this drive, so either direction you head on US-395 will put you on the right track.
The by-way is 250 miles long and it takes anywhere four six hours to complete the drive.
- Topaz Lake, at the routes northern most point, is a beautiful man-made reservoir located on the California-Nevada border.
- Make sure to take time to explore Mono Lake and the Mono Craters.
- If you want to extend your drive, consider adding the June Lakes Loops.
- Make sure to view the Bristlecone Pines in the Owens Valley. They are the oldest known trees in the world.